Thursday, January 31, 2013

Creamy Chicken and Rice



So tonight I really didn't want to make dinner. I was hoping Derek would say three of my favorite words..."Let's eat out!" but he did not, sadly. So I had to rack my brain at something to make for dinner and came up with this. It turned out better than I thought it would and all the kids enjoyed it, which doesn't always happen. If I had some more of the ingredients I had on hand than I think I would have added more of a couple.

Creamy Chicken and Rice

Ingredients
  • 3 large chicken breasts diced small
  • 2 (10 3/4-ounce) cans of cream of chicken soup
  • 1/2 cup of cream cheese
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup greek yogurt
  • 1 package of Steamfresh Broccoli w/cheese sauce or 2 cups fresh broccoli and 1/2 cup melted Velveeta cheese
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 4-8 cups cooked rice
Directions
  1. Cook diced chicken until cooked through in a large skillet.
  2. In a bowl mix together chicken soup, cream cheese, milk, greek yogurt and lemon juice.
  3. Add sauce to cooked chicken.
  4. Cook Broccoli with Cheese according to package or cook fresh broccoli to crisp tender and melt Velveeta.
  5. Add broccoli and cheese to skillet.
  6. Bring to boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  7. Serve over cooked rice.
Note: If I had more of the broccoli w/cheese sauce I would have used a second package. I would have preferred to use fresh broccoli and cheese but I had neither on hand. I also may have used cream of broccoli soup if I would have seen that I had two cans. Just play it up. That is what I do. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment